News

Japan Earthquake, Fukushima Nuclear Plant Confirmed Safe

Japan Earthquake, Fukushima Nuclear Plant Confirmed Safe

This post is also available in: Indonesia

An earthquake of magnitude (M) 7.3 shook Fukushima, Japan. From the Japanese earthquake, it was confirmed that the Nuclear power plant in Fukushima was not affected. Only the water in the used fuel pool is partially spilled.

Reporting by The Japan Times, Sunday (2/14/2021), Tokyo Electric Power said there were no abnormalities in nuclear power plants number 1 and 2 in the area. However, there was a water spill in the used fuel pool at reactors 5 and 6 inside the power plant building number 1.

In addition, it also said two other nuclear power plants were not affected by the Japanese earthquake. The two plants are japan Atomic Power Co’s inactive Tokai Nuclear Power Plant, located in Tokai Village, Ibaraki Prefecture. And another Onagawa nuclear plant in Miyagi Prefecture owned by Tohoku Electric Power Co.

Until now, Japan is still gathering information on casualties and damage from the devastating earthquake that shook on Saturday night (13/2). At least 100 people were injured and caused power outages in a number of areas of Japan.

According to Kyodo News calculations, 104 people were injured in Miyagi, Tochigi, Chiba, Kanagawa, Saitama, Ibaraki and Fukushima prefectures. Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato said two victims in Fukushima and one victim in Saitama were seriously injured.

Japan’s Prime Minister, Yoshihide Suga, said at a Cabinet meeting there had been no reports of deaths. However, it urged residents to remain vigilant due to the possibility of aftershocks up to Magnitude (M) 6.

“We urge people in the disaster area to continue to monitor information from the city government. Be alert, be ready to act quickly and consider weather changes,” suga explained.

See Also: 7 Principles of Japanese Work Culture That We Should Emulate, Make Productive!

A number of power outages affecting about 950,000 households were largely resolved as of Sunday morning (14/2). According to the Fukushima Prefectural Government, a total of 64 evacuation posts have been set up in Fukushima and about 200 people have been displaced.

Defense Minister Nobuo Kishi told local media on Sunday morning (14/2) to immediately send a Self-Defense Force (SDF). The force is to gather damage coverage information if requested by local authorities.

The country’s Meteorological Agency said yesterday’s Japanese earthquake could trigger aftershocks up to Magnitude (M) 6 and could occur for at least the next week. Relevant officials in the country said saturday’s quake was believed to be an aftershock from a major East Japan earthquake that struck the region on March 11, 2011.

See Also: Don’t Panic! Here’s a Powerful Earthquake Tips

“since the 2011 earthquake was a magnitude 9.0 earthquake, it’s no wonder that there were aftershocks on this scale 10 years later,” explained Kenji Satake, a professor at the University of Tokyo’s Earthquake Research Institute.

The Japanese earthquake recorded six high-magnitude earthquakes in the southern part of Miyagi, and the central Nakadori region and hamadori coast of Fukushima. In addition, landslides also covered part of the Joban Toll Road in Soma, Fukushima Prefecture. It was confirmed that no vehicles were trapped.

Copyright © 2021 LO inc. Media Supported By MASEL Corp

To Top