September 11, 2001 became the center of the world’s attention. The incident, which claimed nearly 3,000 lives, was the beginning of a massive manhunt for the founder of al-Qaeda, Osama bin Laden. On September 11, 2001, there was a plane hijacking as well as a suicide attack. The 9/11 tragedy was carried out by those linked to a group called al-Qaeda that stood when Afghanistan was ravaged by war around 1986.
The attack targeted the United States, which became the country’s deadliest attack. Reporting from CNN, here are the facts related to the action of terosisme September 11, 2001.
A total of 19 people hijacked four American commercial aircraft full of fuel. The plane is scheduled to head to the west coast of the United States. A total of 2,977 lives were lost in New York, Washington DC and outside Shanksville, Pennyslvania. The attack was suspected by Osama bin Laden who was none other than the leader of al-Qaeda.
The attack also killed hundreds of police officers and firefighters. At the time of the incident, about 400 police and firefighters were entering the World Trade Centre building, now called Ground Zero.
Victims of the September 11 attacks
On 9/11, there were attacks targeting the World Trade Center (WTC) building in New York City and the Pentagon in Washington DC. One of the planes crashed in a field not far from Shanksville, Pennsylvania. The WTC building then collapsed after being hit by the plane.
Victims of the 9/11 tragedy are aged between 2 and 85 with an estimated 75-85 per cent being men. Regarding the plane crash in Shanksville, it is believed that it was the choice of hijackers who targeted the site rather than in an unknown location. Passengers and crew are believed to have taken control of the plane before it crashed. As of October 2019, about 60% of the 2,753 victims of the WTC attack were identified.
Timeline of Events of September 11
Timeline of the following terrorism events using the ET (Eastern Zone) time zone.
- 08.46 American Airlines Flight 11 of the Boston-Los Angles route crashes into the north side of the WTC building
- 09.03 United Airlines Flight 175 of the Boston-Los Angles route crashes into the south side of the WTC building
- 09.37 American Airlines Flight 77 route Virginia-Los Angles, destination Dulles crashed into the Pentagon building
- 09.59 The south side of the WTC collapsed in about 10 seconds
- 10.03 United Airlines Flight 93 on the New Jersey-San Francisco route crashes on a field just off Shanksville, Pennsylvania
- 10.28 The north side building of the WTC collapsed. The estimated time of the attack on 9/11 and the collapse of both WTC buildings was 102 minutes.